Wednesday, March 10, 2010

2 Birds 1 Stone: Multitasking While You Exercise

We talked last week about the plague of the busy schedule and it’s affects on our good intentions to exercise as often as needed. My favorite way to “make” time for my workouts is to make that 45 minutes of workout time, every day, extra productive. I love to read. I also enjoy watching my favorite TV programs and movies. But, instead of sitting on my duff for hours each week to do those things that I enjoy, I do them while I exercise.
With the invention of the IPod products, the possibilities of entertainment and productivity while you exercise are seemingly limitless! Here are a few of the latest audio books, podcasts, and movies I have watched and listened to during my workouts:

Spanish Lessons (Free podcast from CoffebreakSpanish.com) – 15-30 minute weeklylessons Daily News Update with NPR - an application I downloaded from ITunes (Free)
"The Five Love Languages of Children" by Dr. Gary Chapman (Audio book purchased on ITunes)
"Breaking Free" - a bible study by Beth Moore (Audio study series purchased on ITunes)
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - movie (Rented and downloaded from ITunes, viewed directly on my Iphone)

This is just the tip of the iceberg. You can find audio books and podcasts on virtually any subject! Maybe you are a foodie, a techie, or a domestic goddess? Whatever your interests, you will find something perfect for you. I do, literally, 90% of my reading via audio books and podcasts. I simply don’t sit down to watch TV unless it’s a weekend evening and I am snuggled up with my husband and/or kiddos. I realize this may sound crazy to some. Yet, again, we are talking about a shift in accepted thinking patterns. You can’t create more hours in a day, but you can certainly combine activities to become a more efficient and effective person. That’s what each of us should be striving for each day...to become more efficient and effective. If you aren’t growing, then you are regressing! I encourage each of you to try this new approach to your workouts next week. If you don’t have an iPod product, it may take an upfront investment. But, it is completely worth every penny! Life is too short for procrastination! Do something good for yourself today! Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment